Denham-Blythe is a people-focused design-build construction company committed to providing the best possible construction service in the industry. Founded in 1976, we have completed over 10,000 projects to date. Currently we are seeking a Carpenter at our Lexington, Kentucky location.
The Carpenter performs general construction duties under the direction of a Superintendent. Depending on the state of a construction project, each day of work may require different job skills, physical and environmental demands. Responsible for designing, building, installing, and repairing structures, fixtures, and other items using different types of materials including wood steel, and concrete.
- Independently obtains information from blueprints and/or Superintendent.
- Selects materials.
- Performs various types of demo.
- Builds forms, walls and foundation structures for pouring concrete in a variety of applications.
- Installs the concrete formwork foundations in the early stages of a building or other construction project.
- Works with materials such as metals, wood, plastic, hardware, fiberglass, or drywall.
- Utilizes the correct tools to achieve the necessary results.
- Works safely on ladders, scaffold and lifts at various heights.
- Checks work along the way to ensure it's up to code, meets specifications and is aligned with current drawings.
- Uses levels, rules, plumb bobs, framing squares, and surveying equipment to check and recheck the accuracy of the project.
- Builds temporary stairs, railings, ramps or other means of egress and safety measures.
- Erects scaffolding in accordance with OSHA guidelines.
- Installs dust partitions, doors, door hardware and windows.
- Performs framing, primarily with wood and occasionally with metal studs.
- Communications with Superintendent immediately to report unsafe work conditions.
- Completes inspections forms/route maintenance on equipment.
- Teaches the skills that are needed to others on the crew and encourages their professional growth.
- Works collaboratively with other Carpenters to recognize project issues, brainstorm possible solutions, and work to resolve problems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understands verbal or written instructions
- Works as part of a crew
- Recognizes hazards, adheres to safety requirements, and demonstrates safe behavior
- Works without close supervision
- Ability to read blueprints
- Works at a pace needed to meet deadlines
- Calculates feet and inches; adds, subtracts, counts, uses a tape measure
- Adheres to quality standards, recognizes errors and fixes them
- Strong mechanical skills
- Knowledge of safety codes and regulations for building sites
The position lifts heavy objects, walks and stands for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects; using abdominal and lower back muscles. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. Lifts and carries 20 – 70 pounds (i.e. 4 x 8 feet sheet plywood, 5-gallon bucket, nail apron, ladder, etc.). Climbs ladders up to heights of 30 feet. Pulls materials weighing up to 40 pounds. Pushes objects weighing up to 90 pounds. Kneels, crouches, and stoops continuously. Stands, working with tools from a height of waist to overhead continuously. Uses both hands continuously to perform duties requiring a strong, steady grasp of tools and materials. Maintains static grasp of tools weighing up to 30 pounds.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five to ten years of carpentry experience.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid state driver’s license prior to employment.
We offer a full benefits package including medical, life, dental, 401(k), holidays, and vacation. Our company uses E-Verify for hiring purposes. We are a drug-free work place.